Improving the innovation environment
The Science and Innovation Park will secure the future of Jealott’s Hill International Research Centre.
It will create an important destination for companies, academic partners and wider organisations to find technical solutions to key global environmental challenges such as energy efficiency, mitigation and adaption to climate change, water and resource management, food security and the replacement of plastics - all of which are highlighted as key priorities for Government.
This Science and Innovation Park will provide an inspirational and innovative eco-system at the heart of the garden village. It would be designed to:
- Create a much-needed critical mass of expertise, workspace and facilities – providing a clustering destination for the growth of clean-tech businesses, which is at the core of the UK Government’s Clean Growth pillar of its Industrial Strategy
- Become a UK Centre of Excellence for exporting skills, knowledge and innovation across sectors as diverse as big data, remote sensing, satellite/drone technology, artificial intelligence and other new technologies
- Deliver high quality and healthy commercial space designed to address the shortage of premium Research & Development and innovation facilities to meet demand, particularly outside Oxford and Cambridge
- Provide facilities which will attract new science partners and other adjacent industries beyond agri-tech in the broader field of life sciences, environmental management, clean energy, digital and material science - this will support the national interest in the growth and innovation of exportable technologies
- Provide access to world class technologies which can only be delivered through clustering opportunities
- Secure and create new job opportunities at Jealott’s Hill for the long term, delivering economic benefits of employment in accordance with Government economic policy, international competitiveness and sustainable growth policy
- Create education and future science growth through opportunities such as an Innovation Hub – incubator / accelerator space for start-ups and small companies and collaborative space for work with academic partners
- Provide the inspiration for students to study STEM research and undertake apprenticeships, raising aspirations for science careers in new, exciting and high-tech facilities set within a sustainable new settlement
- Deliver highly innovative technological design and construction for all built form, delivering reductions in energy, water use, carbon and making efficient use of resources
- Boost the post-Brexit economy by attracting globally significant science and technology investment
The Science and Innovation Park will attract and retain a diverse skilled workforce. They will benefit from a unique sustainable live-work environment, with attractive homes and facilities such as education, healthcare, shops and services within the garden village.
Find out more about the proposed Science and Innovation Park by watching this film.